Small Business Opportunities
Which opportunity is right
There are several types of opportunities available for small business owners. Each type has specific characteristics that are important to understand.
Check back frequently for new opportunities.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get new opportunities delivered to your inbox each week.
Accelerators & Incubators
Accelerators and Incubators are programs that give businesses access to mentorship, investors and other support that help them become stable, self-sufficient and scaleable.
As a small business owner, there is always something more to learn. Learning opportunities like workshops, seminars, and trainings teach business skills you can use to grow your business.
Capacity Building and Technical Assistance opportunities build operational capacity with support in areas like marketing, web development, accounting, point of sales and more.
Local vendor opportunities are a great way to get out in the community and get your business name out there. Opportunties might include pop-up shops, festivals, fairs and concerts.
Contests & Competitions
During business contests and competitions, entrepreneurs present their business concepts to a panel of judges for a chance to win a cash prize or investment capital.
Narrow your search
2023 Downtown Detroit Markets
Applications Now Open for 2023 Downtown Detroit Markets: The Markets are slated to return to the city center in November and December 2023, and will once again call Downtown Detroit’s Cadillac Square home. TechTown will host two virtual info sessions for prospective vendors: May 17 from 6-7 PM and June 7 from 6-7 PM. Downtown Detroit Markets vendors will be notified in July 2023.
This season, the team is looking for the following market mix. Please note, we reserve the right to adjust this target selection based upon actual application submissions.
- Four (4) apparel
- Three (3) home goods
- Three (3) gifting, including food and beverage
- Two (2) accessories
- One (1) wellness & beauty
- Two (2) children’s clothing/toys
- One (1) pets
Priority will be given to Detroit-based businesses as well as businesses who have not participated in the Markets previously.
- Vendors must be selling a product. No service-based businesses will be accepted.
- Products cannot contain alcohol, tobacco, drugs or weapons.
- Vendors cannot be a current Bedrock retail tenant.
- Vendors cannot be currently employed by the Rock Family of Companies.
- If selected, vendors must pay a one-time, upfront $1,500 deposit and one additional payment of $1,000 during the season.
Comcast RISE Program
Between June 1-30, eligible small businesses in metro Detroit, will be able to apply for the Comcast RISE program at www.ComcastRISE.com. There are a total of 100 grants per city that will be announced in August and awarded in September 2023.
Comcast RISE stands for Representation, Investment, Strength and Empowerment. Comcast RISE was created in 2020 to help small businesses hardest hit by COVID-19 recover and thrive. During its initial two-year term, 13,000 small businesses were awarded with over $110 million in monetary, marketing, and technology grants. Using learnings from our first phase, we’re pleased to bring Comcast RISE back in expanded form in 2023. As small businesses transition from pandemic recovery to a focus on expansion and growth, Comcast will continue its efforts and help an even broader range of small businesses, while continuing to focus on diversity, inclusion, and community investment.
- Owner is at least 18 years of age or older, and is the primary decision maker for, and is actively engaged in the day-to-day operation of the business
- No more than 100 full-time and part-time employees
- Established business operations for at least three calendar years
- Business has been revenue generating in the 12 months prior to the application window
Applications open June 1